For Sale: Collapsed Bank

There’s an odd bit of business going on at Gateshead Council. As we can all see when we cross the bridge by Metro, the bit of riverbank which collapsed into the river Tyne in mid January 2011 has been left broken and untended for nearly two years now. It’s nearly impossible to find out anything about it on their website though as none of the obvious search terms turn up anything at all on the matter. So as regards what’s currently happening, I’ve no idea. That would take an FOI request and about a month.

I blogged about it last year. It has interrupted a national cycle path and nobody seems to care about it. Who is responsible for fixing it? Probably, one would think, the landowners. Who is that? The Council, again, you’d think.

But no. At least not yet.

As it happens, that particular little bit of the once delightful Pipewellgate is owned by Nexus, the very folk who carry you over the bridge by Metro. Apparently, thirty-odd years ago when they were building the bridge, they needed a couple of bits of land either side, so they bought the necessary. Well that’s not quite true – the bridge was built for the original Tyne and Wear Passenger Transport Executive, before the mass privatisation of all our local services. Nexus just ‘kind of inherited’ the land. All these years later, it’s still theirs. And now they would like very much for the Council to own it back.

Now they are – as responsible landowners providing right-of-way to public cycle-pathers – going to fix the damage. That’s underway, apparently, despite any visible evidence. And this will be to the satisfaction (whatever that means) of GMBC before the title deeds are transferred to the council. So that’s OK then. But they’d also like “to receive a percentage (to be agreed) of any future sale/development value“.A gift that is, as yet, both unlimited and eternal. Wow. Nice.

As the report (Agenda Item 22, dated 24 November 2011, page 119 of 156 in the PDF, their page 117) says, “The area has little potential for development due to its current use as highway and footpath/cyclepath and also its location and topography.” So I don’t quite know why that ‘consideration’ is being proposed without raised eyebrows. Once they’ve got the land back to the council, why would they expect to have or deserve any further interest in it?

Like I said. An odd bit of business.

Pyrmont

19170202sydneyswing1024
19170202sydneyswingmasonry1024
19170202sydneyswingdeck1024
19170202sydneyswingroad1024

In the issue of The Engineer dated 2 February 1917 are pictures – on pages 110 and 125, of the Pyrmont Bridge. This is a swing bridge over the Darling Harbour at Sydney. Sydney has, of course, the Sydney Harbour Bridge, built by the same people who had put up a similar structure over the River Tyne at Newcastle in 1926. And Newcastle also has Armstrong’s Swing Bridge of 1876. It’s almost as if the Australians are copycatting the Geordies.

Quebec

19171109newquebecbridge1024A bridge, the longest cantilever in the world, finally crossed the St Lawrence in August 1917, The photo is from The Engineer, the 9 November 1917 issue, page 403.

Although no Tacoma Narrows, its place in bridgy history is significant. It’s largely due to the two previous failed attempts that we now have professional institutes of engineers, designed to protect both the body municipal and the engineers themselves from those who don’t know what they’re doing or who don’t care how they build.

Not that this seems to have helped Italian Seismologists.

Kwik-Bridj

Not too many places on the High Street where you can pop in for a bag of bridges. The Motherwell Bridge Company is, today, quite a large concern. This is an advert from 1917, found amongst all the adverts piled in at the back of the volume containing all of the issues of the journal The Engineer for that year.

This one’s from a Bristol company, Llewellins (an unusual spelling), also still around after 95 years – which is good to see. The great pile of worm and spur reduction gears in the ad is impressive, but there’s no sense of scale. They feel big though.

To get a sense of scale, there’s nothing quite like putting a working engineer in the picture, standing next to the product. Let’s see the ad for one of our very own Steel casters, John Spencer of Newcastle upon Tyne at Newburn.

Finally, still in 1917, there’s this Ferodo ad. The brake-pad people. They are still around but I’m wondering if they are now so embedded into the infrastructure that nobody needs to mention them any more. Last I heard their name was on some small pieces of plastic scenery adorning a scalextric set. And that was when I was a youngster.

Troubled Water Bridge

19121206pontoonconstantinople1024

On page 598 of the 6th December 1912 issue of The Engineer we see a photograph of the newly built floating pontoon which was the fourth Galata Bridge of Constantinople. The accompanying article (p 605 Ibid) tells us that it was built – offsite in Gustavsburg – by the Maschinenfabriek Augsburg-Nürnberg AG.

It’s the second pontoon bridge at that site, connecting Galata and Stamboul with 1542 feet of German Bridginess, and replaced the one built forty years earlier. Most of the Golden Horn traffic is diverted from another bridge, slightly awkwardly positioned, upstream. Construction began in the summer of 1910. It was fire-damaged in 1992 and replaced by a non-pontoony one.

Small passenger boats could travel under it, and a floating opening provided passage for others. The troubledness of the water refers to the situation at the time, what with the First Balkan War‘n’all.

Après Tay

The Tay Bridge disaster at the end of 1879, it’s hard to appreciate now, had quite an impact upon the British psyche for some time. In February 1881 for example, the Solway Viaduct failed – but without loss of life – due to a spot of icing up.

1881solwaypic1024

THE SOLWAY VIADUCT.
WITHIN little more than a year after the Tay Bridge disaster, we have to report the failure of the Solway Viaduct, near Annan, forming the most important part of the Solway Junction Railway, and until this week, a connecting link between England and Scotland. On Sunday and the two following days a large portion of the Viaduct was swept away, as already reported in our columns, by the shoals of ice, which, since the thaw set in, have been drifting down the channel. In former years the thaw has been accompanied by high winds, breaking up the ice and saving the Viaduct; but this season no wind has arisen, and the packs have been carried down in unbroken masses, hurling themselves against the piers, carrying everything before them. The accident has been unattended by any loss of life, owing to the vigilance of the railway authorities, who had watchmen stationed, who gave timely warning.

People were still nervous of steam engines. And with some reason, because boilers exploded rather more often than one would wish. An issue of The Engineer, from early in 1881, carries a report about an MP – Hugh Mason – who wished to do something about this.

BOILER EXPLOSIONS
THE president of the Manchester Steam Users’ Association, Mr. Hugh Mason, M.P. for Ashton-under-Lyme, is bringing in a bill for the prevention of these catastrophes, by which so many lives are constantly sacrificed. This bill is to be read a second time on Wednesday, the 16th inst. The following is a circular letter which has been addressed to each member of Parliament, and gives in brief the scope of the measure :—

IN PARLIAMENT. — SESSION 1881.
Boiler Explosions Bill. – Second reading, February 16th.
House of Commons, February 4th, 1881.
SIR, — You cannot fail to he aware of the frequency of steam boiler explosions, and the lamentable loss of life resulting therefrom. By two explosions that occurred last year – one at Walsall, on the 15th of May, and the other at Glasgow, on the 5th of March – as many as fifty persons were killed, and forty-nine others injured.

The measure proposed with a view to preventing these disasters is of a very simple character. Its object is to make better provision for inquiries with regard to boiler explosions, whether fatal or not, so that the true cause may be arrived at in every case, and the responsibility brought home to the right party. In the event of a boiler explosion at sea, such an investigation as that proposed in this bill is held under the Merchant Shipping Acts 1874 to 1876; and in the event of a railway disaster — as, for instance, the fall of the Tay Bridge — such an investigation is held under the Regulation of Railways Act, 1871. The Boiler Explosions Bill, 1881, therefore, does not propose to introduce any new principle, but only to extend one already adopted, and to secure as full an investigation for every explosion occurring on land as that already secured for every explosion occurring at sea.

There is no doubt that the majority of boiler explosions could be prevented by competent periodical inspection; but it is not proposed in this measure to go so far as to render inspection compulsory. It is thought better to be content – for the present at all events – with a more moderate measure, trusting that the institution of a searching investigation in the case of every explosion will prove sufficient to arouse steam users to a due sense of their responsibility, and thus render further legislation unnecessary.

It will be seen that this measure does not in any way lessen the boiler owners’ responsibliity.

We trust we may have your support in bringing this measure forward, feeling sure you will agree with us in the importance of arresting, as far as possible, the present sacrifice of human life from steam boiler explosions.

Hugh Mason,
Thos. Burt,
Henry Lee,
Henry Broadhurst.

An act was passed in 1882, and another in 1890. They have been neither repealed nor superseded

Brooklyn, May, 1883

1883broobridge2-1024
1883broobridge3-2048
1883broobridge4-1024
1883broobridge5-1024

Before They Were Famous #2333 – The Tay Bridge

The bridge that collapsed in 1879 was begun in 1871 as the longest railway bridge in the world and was completed in 1877. There are several articles about it in The Engineer, written by those untainted with knowledge of the disaster to come. Here are a few snippets.

9 October 1872, North side

1872taynorth1

Valentine’s day, 1873, South side

1873taysouth1

The principal article about the construction, published on 4 April, 1873 (p200ff), carries several illustrations. The article starts with:

THE TAY BRIDGE. We make no apology to our readers for this week devoting all our cut pages to illustrations of the most important civil engineering work now being carried out in Great Britain. Indeed, the magnitude of the bridge, and the novelty and ingenuity of the means employed in its erection, entitle it to take rank with the most interesting civil engineering works ever carried to completion. The Tay Bridge will be, when finished, the largest iron bridge in the world. Since the town of Dundee has grown to its present manufacturing importance, the great want of a bridge to connect the existing North British Railway system in Fife directly with the town of Dundee has been severely felt. At present, the whole of the coal, goods, and passenger traffic coming by the North British line has to be conveyed across in steamers to Tay Port, and thence over the Caledonian Railway to Dundee, involving not only great expense for maintenance, but frequent delays from the enormous accession of traffic, and the stormy winter weather.

Sinking the Caissons

1873taycaissons1

Floating the Piers

1873taypierfloats1

Skipping forward to a report in The Engineer of 22 June 1877 (p433), this appears to have been reprinted verbatim (apart from a minor equivalence of ‘on Wednesday’ and ‘yesterday’) from The Times of Thursday, June 21st, 1877 (p9)

FATAL ACCIDENT. – An accident by which one man was instantaneously killed occurred at the Tay-bridge on Wednesday evening. While a span was being lifted to the top of two piers one of the chains used in hoisting it snapped. Immediately the huge piece of iron, which weighed 25 tons, was released, the chain suspending the other end gave way, owing to the sudden jerk. In its descent into the river, from a height of 50ft., the span struck one of the workmen named Bain and killed him on the spot. Besides the pecuniary loss, which is considerable, the accident will have the effect of interrupting the progress of the works, which were proceeding most satisfactorily. The engineers are, however, confident that, notwithstanding what has happened, they will be able to complete their arrangement with the Tay Bridge Company to run a train over the structure on the 15th of September next.

Another report, near completion, is a brief article from The Engineer of 7 September 1877 (p172)

THE TAY BRIDGE. THERE has recently been considerable progress made with this work. All the girders have been lifted to their position, and the bridge has therefore quite a finished appearance. It is expected that in the course of two or three weeks a train will be run across from the Fifeshire end to Dundee. The station in connection with the bridge line will not be completed for a few months, so probably some time must elapse before the commencement of public traffic. Messrs. Hopkins, Gilkes, and Co., the contractors, must be congratulated upon the successful position of this difficult undertaking. It will be remembered that last February, during the severe storm that raged over the northern part of the country, two of the large girders were blown down, and with them the upper parts of two of the piers. Taking this into account with the late inclement summer season, it has required considerable energy on the part of the engineers in charge of the work to complete it so nearly within the estimated date. At some future time we purpose giving details of some of the most interesting parts of the work. We recently published an account of a novel system of excavating, introduced by Mr. Reeves, which greatly facilitated the sinking of the pier foundations. As the opening of this bridge approaches an increasing number of visitors have been received. Last Saturday General Grant and Sir Jas. Falshaw, with a party, went up from Edinburgh by special train to see the bridge. They were received by Mr. Gilkes, and they expressed themselves much pleased at the appearance of the structure, which now 1ooks very well, with the fine scenery in the background.

A longer article, again from The Engineer (28 September 1877 (p228)) describes dignitaries having a first ceremonial train ride across the two miles of river. The line wouldn’t be open to the public until the station was completed a few months later.

THE TAY BRIDGE – On Tuesday the Tay Bridge was virtually opened for traffic, that is to say, a long train containing many of the directors of the North British Railway and other gentlemen, was run across the bridge from the south to the north side. A great concourse of people was present to see the Tay crossed by a railway train. The connecting works are not yet complete, but in a very short time all will be ready for Board of Trade inspection, and the bridge will then be opened for traffic. An elaborate description of this bridge, fully illustrated will be found in THE ENGINEER for April 4th, 1873, and to this we must refer such of our readers who are desirous of complete information concerning the longest railway bridge in the world. But a few general particulars concerning the structure, and a glance at its history, will not be out of place here.

The bridge has been constructed to carry the traffic of the North British Railway across the estuary of the Tay at a place where it is nearly two miles wide. It was designed by Mr. Bouch, C.E., and a bill was obtained in 1870 for its construction. Messrs. De Bergue and Co., of London, obtained the contract for it in 1871, and the foundation-stone was laid in the land abutment on the south side on the 22nd July of the same year. In May, 1874, the death of the principal partner of De Bergue and Co. led to the transference of the contract from that firm to Messrs. Hopkins, Gilkes, and Co., Middlesbrough, by whom it has since been prosecuted and finished. The bridge begins about a mile and a half above Newport, on the south side of the river, where the depth of water at high spring tides is 45ft., the velocity of the current reaching occasionally five knots an hour. The design includes eighty-five spans, varying in length from 67ft. to 245ft., those of the greatest dimensions being placed over the navigable part of the river. Here the bridge has a clear height of 88ft. above high water, from which it slopes down to the Fife side with a gradient of 1 in 356, and towards the Dundee side where it takes a curve to the eastward in order the more conveniently to join the land line, with a gradient of 1 in 73. We must refer our readers to THE ENGINEER for April 4th, 1873, for a description of the method of erecting the bridge adopted by Messrs. De Bergue. After the work had been in progress for some time on this system, it was found that the rock suddenly shelved away to a great depth under beds of clay gravel, and sand. It therefore became impracticable to sink the piers to that foundation, and a new method had to be introduced. The weight of the pier was lightened by substituting in the upper works iron columns for solid brick, while the adoption for each pier of a single oval cylinder measuring 23½ft. by 13½ft. secured a larger bearing than had previously been obtained with two smaller ones. The cylinders, constructed on shore, were floated out to their places, and sunk by the aid of an ingenious sand pump invented by one of the assistant engineers, Mr. Reeves. The interior of the cylinder was afterwards filled to the top with cement concrete, and the portion above the bottom of the river being removed, on the concrete was placed a base for the pier constructed on shore and floated out. This reached to the level of low-water, and on it, as the tide permitted, men worked at the erection of the next section which reached to high-water mark, where four courses of stone were fixed. On these were placed the iron columns, 12in. and 15in. in diameter, carrying the girders.

When the piers had been brought up to the proper height, the girders – measuring 245ft. in length, and weighing 190 tons for each span — were towed out. The raising of the girders was carried on in lifts of 20ft. at a time by hydraulic apparatus. Two girders, connected by transverse braces, go to each span, the depths varying according to the width of the space to be crossed. The length of the spans diminishes in going towards the shores on either side of the navigable channel, the depths of the girders being correspondingly decreased, the minimum being 12ft. The bridge has been calculated for a rolling load of 1½ ton to the foot run. The bridge is connected with the main line of the North British Railway by a branch striking off at Leuchars Junction, and running up to the south end of the bridge, the distance being about five miles.

During the construction of the bridge very serious difficulties were encountered, caused in a great measure by the enormous height of the structure above water, in a situation where it is exposed to heavy gales. This height was considered necessary to prevent the passage of ships being stopped, but it has been found, as a matter of fact, that the number of ships which require a headway of 80ft. at low water is nominal; and there is no reason to doubt that no harm would have been done, while a vast sum would have been saved, had the bridge been made 30ft lower than it is. We heartily congratulate the engineers, contractors, and proprietors on the successful completion of a thoroughly great work.

And down it all comes only a couple of years later, removing from the planet one complete train and at least 60 humans with it.

On the Fourth of July, 1775

Taken from the book Local records; or, Historical register of remarkable events, effectively a blog from 1828 by one Mr John Sykes of Newcastle upon Tyne. One of those there old books scanned and epubbed by google.

drawing of an old tower from the medieval Tyne bridge

Linecut

The workmen employed in taking down the ruins of Tyne-bridge, at Newcastle, found in the east corner of the pillar on which the tower on the bridge stood, the bones of a human skeleton.* And about eighteen inches lower was discovered a stone coffin, about six feet three inches in length, entirely empty. There was no inscription upon it. There were on this bridge, besides many houses and shops, three towers or gates, each formerly having had a portcullis: — one at the north end, called the Magazine-gate; a second, called the Tower on the bridge; and the third, at the south end, in Gateshead. Near this last had been a draw-bridge. The Magazine-gate had been pulled down a short time before the fall of the bridge to widen its north entrance. On the front of the tower adjoining Gateshead, were the arms, cut in stone, of Nathaniel Lord Crewe, bishop of Durham. This stone was preserved by the late Hugh Hornby, esq., alderman of Newcastle, and placed in his garden wall, in Pilgrim-street.

The tower on the bridge was a place of temporary confinement for disorderly persons. There was a stone with the town’s arms on it, placed on the south front, with the motto Ffortiter defendit triumphans, 1646. This stone was also preserved by Alderman Hornby, and placed in his garden-wall. The house and garden is now the property of Anthony Clapham, esq., who has paid every attention to the preservation of these relics of the old bridge; having built upon the garden ground, the stones are placed in the wall over two office doors. The above cut is taken from an original drawing, in the possession of Miss Hornby, daughter of the late Alderman Hornby.


* there appears to have been a hermitage on Tyne bridge, could this have been the skeleton of an anchorite who had been buried in his cell?

Ye Olde

It should by now be common knowledge that the use of Ye, for the, is based on a mistaking of the older orthographic rendering of the word the as Þe. Maybe it’s odd that an almost equally common misreading of ſ – the old long form for s, as an f, hasn’t produced a bunch of Ye olde tea fop from Þe Olde Tea ſhoppe, but the shop’s h probably stops that happening.

But Ye Olde has been around a lot longer than I thought. Here it turns up on the occasion of Queen Victoria’s Diamond Jubilee in 1887. They even had the quainty-wainty f-word (that’s Fayre) back then.

yeoldeshoppe600 This picture is an engraved illustration from The Graphic (1869 – 1932) of May 21 1887, reporting on the Newcastle Exhibition where they’d had the wherewithal to build a complete half-scale model of the heavily ſhoppe-laden medieval Tyne Bridge which had been washed away in the flood of 1771.

Said Jubilee is why Exhibition Park was born, and is also what spawned Newcastle Exhibition Ale